Information Processing in Multi-scale Models of Neurons and Neural Networks
Our research involves the development and analysis of computational models to study synaptic plasticity,
associative memory and information processing in neuronal systems. Moreover, we apply machine learning techniques to analyse electrophysiological data, and we
develop spiking neural networks for the control of animats and robots. We are currently involved in the following projects:
- Synaptic integration and neural coding in the cerebellar nuclei (in collaboration with Chris de Zeeuw and Freek Hoebeek at Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam).
- Computational models for the control and evaluation of rehabilitation robotics systems (in collaboration with Farshid Amirabdollahian in the Adaptive Systems Research Group).
- Computational models of intracellular signalling networks (in collaboration with Thiago Matos Pinto and Antonio Roque at the University of Sao Paulo Ribeirao Preto, Brazil).
- The application of machine learning techniques and computer simulations to understand the generation of epileptic seizures (in collaboration with Chris de Zeeuw and Freek Hoebeek at Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam).
- Synaptic plasticity and pattern recognition in cerebellar Purkinje cells.
- The evolution of spiking neural networks for the control of simulated agents (part of the EvoSN project, in collaboration with Borys Wrobel at the University of Poznan).
- The effect of evolutionary changes in cerebellar Purkinje cells on information processing (in collaboration with Jim Bower).
- Information processing in data-driven models of cerebellar cortex (part of the ANR-BBSRC VESTICODE project in collaboration with UCL, the Ecole Normale Superieure and Institut Pasteur, Paris).
- The development of software to facilitate the construction and visualisation of realistic neuronal networks in 3D space (in collaboration with Padraig Gleeson and R. Angus Silver at UCL). [www.neuroconstruct.org]
- The generation of variable neuronal morphologies and their effect on information processing in single cells and networks (in collaboration with Giseli de Sousa at the University of Santa Catarina, Brazil).
- The relation between connectivity and associative memory in models of cerebral cortex with different degrees of biological detail (in collaboration with Weiliang Chen at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology).
- Determinants of gain control in cerebellar granule cells (in collaboration with Jason Rothman and R. Angus Silver at UCL).