Selected Academic appointments:
• Assessor/Evaluator for the H2020 Programme, European Commission, 2014-Ongoing
• Evaluator for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Ongoing
• Evaluator for the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), 2015
• Grant application referee for the Medical Research Council, 2011-2012, UK
• Grant application referee for the National Stroke Association, 2011-2013, UK
• Grant application referee for the British Council, INSPIRE programme, 2010, UK
• Associate Editor for the Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies Engineering Journal (RATE)
• Invited Associate Editor for the Special Assistive Technologies Issue of the Paladyn Journal of Behavioral Robotics
• Referee for the Journal of Virtual Reality.
• Referee for the Journal of Applied Bionic & Biomechanics.
• Referee for the Journal of Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing.
• Referee for the Journal of Neuroengineering & Rehabilitation.
• Referee for the IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems & Rehabilitation Engineering.
• Referee for the IEEE Transactions on Robotics.
• Referee for the Journal of Interaction Studies.
• Referee for the Journal of Systems and Control Engineering (IMechE – Part I).
• Referee for the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics.
• Referee for the IEEE Transactions on Haptics.
Number of external examinations and completed PhD students:
• Four of my PhD students have completed their PhD so far, Dr Joshua Wainer, Dr Radhika Gudipati (aka Chemuturi), Dr Hock Gan & Dr Nauman Shah.
• I have performed 7 examinations to-date, 3 internal and 4 external examination duties
• Invited speaker in ICSR2015 workshop: ”Improving The Quality of Life in the Elderly Using Robotic Assistive Technology: Benefits, Limitations, and Challenges”, Oct 2015, Paris, France.
• Invited talk in RehabWeek 2015, ”SCRIPT Project: Stroke Rehab @Home”, June 2015, Valencia, Spain.
• Talk at the RO-MAN2015 workshop: ”Novel patient-robot interfaces and multimodal interaction in rehabilitation robotics”, Aug 2014,Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
• Invited speaker at the conference: ”Delivering Housing Solutions for Older People: Ageing Well at Home”, Sep 2014, Stratford, United Kingdom.
• Invited speaker for three workshops at European Robotics Forum, 2014, Rovereto, Italy.
• Invited speaker in Caring for the Future Conference 2013, Theme: ”Integrating Health, Social Care and Housing”. 29 Oct 2013, Birmingham, United Kingdom.
• Invited speaker in International Neurorehabilitation Symposium, INRS 2013, ”Home-based SCRIPT robot-mediated therapy with games and remote management for stroke”, 12 Sep 2013, Zurich, Switzerland.
• Invited speaker in ”Cost Symposium – Rehabilitation Robotics and Technical Developments”, held at University of Twente, 8-9th April 2013, the Netherlands.
• Invited talk in Assistive and Rehabilitation Robotics: Challenges and Potentials, University of Bedfordshire, Nov 2012, UK.
• Invited talk in Assistive and Rehabilitation Robotics: Challenges and Potentials, University of Sheffield, Nov 2012, UK.
• Invited talk in Assistive and Rehabilitation Robotics: Challenges and Potentials, University of Carlos III, Madrid, Nov 2012, Spain.
• Invited talk at IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, work- shop on Neurorehabilitation networks: Combining global efforts, Rome, June 2012, Italy.
• Invited talk at IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, work- shop on Robotics for neuro-rehabilitation: challenges for improving impact on clinical practice, Rome, June 2012, Italy.
• Invited talk in EPSRC sponsored seminar titled ”Understanding Usability – ’across the life course’ and ’in the wild’ ”, the Open University, Milton Keynes, Feb 2012, UK.
• Invited speaker,Technology with Disabled and Older People: Business development, Building alliances and Impact assessment , London School of Economics, March 2011.
• Invited speaker,TWA Conference in Robotic Technologies organised by the Netherlands Office of Science and Technology, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Den Haag, the Netherlands, November 2009.
• Invited speaker, Electronics KTN Autonomous Systems Conference in London, November 2009.
• Programme Chair of the IEEE RO-MAN2014 conference, Edinburgh, UK.
• Design and application of a personalised arm/hand training system for home use after stroke, In- ternational Neurorehabilitation Symposium (INRS2013), 11 Sep 2013, Zurich, Switzerland.
• Organised an event in support of Active Ageing Year 2012. More information about the event is found here.
• Organised a KT-Equal sponsored workshop titled ‘Robots supporting personal independence and rehabilitation‘. The workshop received more than 70 participants from Academia, Industries and end-users. More information about this workshop is found here.
Membership of Scientific Committees
• Reviewer for the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2011-2013
• Reviewer for the Journal of Interaction Studies, 2009-2013
• Reviewer for the Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation (JNER) 2007-2013
• Reviewer for the Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 2011
• Reviewer for the Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Springer, 2009-2013
• Reviewer for the Journal of Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, 2010
• Reviewer for the IEEE Transaction on Robotics, 2009
• Reviewer for the Journal of Virtual Reality, 2009
• Reviewer for the IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems & Rehabilitation Engineering, 2009-2013
• Reviewer for the multiple conferences such as ICORR, IROS, EVAAL, RO-MAN, ICRA, ICIRA, 2001-2013
• Winner of Vice Chancellor’s 2013 award for “Excellence in Research”
• Best Paper Award in the area of “Technologies Enhancing well-being for older people” at HSI2013, the 6th International Conference on Human System Interaction.
• Britain’s Younger Engineers – 2004, Special Reception and Competitions at the House of Commons, London. Title: ‘Upper‐Limb Robot‐Mediated Therapy For Elderly – Inspired By A Children’s Developmental Toy’